Head of Risk Business Operations & Program Management
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We build the most powerful and flexible tools for starting, running and scaling an internet business. We process hundreds of billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. More than 80% of American adults bought something on Stripe in the last year.
As Stripe continues to develop innovative products that support some of the biggest and fastest-growing businesses around the world, risk will increase in scale and complexity. To scale sustainably, Stripe must build risk considerations into its growing suite of products. Meshing risk management with product development will facilitate the optimal trade-offs between downside risk and user experience. We strive for a fully risk-ready suite of products: that provide a curated experience for well-intended users, while remaining inhospitable for bad actors and allowing Stripe, as a whole, to be in control of its desired exposure to risk.
- Be accountable for the health and composability of Stripe’s “Risk Platform”; the broad set of technical components that collectively form a gearbox between Stripe’s products and its technical and operational risk management arm. A successful Risk Platform will allow for the consistent propagation of Stripe’s overall risk appetite across products and geographies.
- Serve as a significant driver towards achieving the objectives of Stripe’s Risk Management function overall. You will do this by:
- Delivering the technical means for risk business outcome teams.
- Supporting a rich and composable Risk Platform that user-facing product teams want to integrate with and that maximizes the experience of well-intended users.
- Allowing portfolio-wide, cross-product risk management “dials” for the company to more deliberately control its exposure to risk.
- Scoping all of Stripe’s risk and regulatory compliance initiatives across the business, in partnership with engineering and product teams; building a prioritized roadmap of Stripe’s risk and compliance deliverables; program managing the process by which solutions are built and launched on time.
- Identifying and mitigating emerging risks across Stripe’s platform by leveraging existing technological and operational capabilities within the organization.
- Hire and develop great business strategists and program managers.
- Set long-term strategy for Stripe’s risk management platform.
- Work with our users, financial and strategic partners, and other stakeholders at Stripe to develop this portfolio of products. This will involve navigating a complex regulatory and partnership landscape while remaining uncompromising on product quality.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Product obsession and vision: You are excited to do hands-on strategy and product solutioning work while the team scales; you have delivered excellent products in a highly complex business environment.
- Taken an organizational unit from 0->1: You have defined a vision and roadmap based on user needs and executed against that vision to produce impact; you have owned business metrics for an at-scale functional area.
- Experience in a highly strategic, analytical and operational role in fast-paced environments.
- A process-oriented mindset and ability to lead people to get things done.
- General business management: You have successfully built and managed the P&L of an expansive business.
- Technology and data: You have technical experience (e.g., research in math/science, data-scientist, engineer, technical founder, etc.); you are technical enough to ask engineers good questions about architecture and product decisions; you have led the development of data-intensive or ML-based products; you have prior experience and expertise with b2b and enterprise products with a preference for experience with Payments/Risk/etc.
- Team management: You have hired, managed and developed a world-class team.
- Leadership: You have experience partnering closely with executive teams. In this role, you will work closely with Stripe executives and the Board on company core metrics and business strategy.
- Low ego and a knack for working well with a wide range of people.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.