Head of Product Design
Design at Stripe
Stripe’s mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We think that building an internet business is a problem rooted in code and design, not finance. We also believe that there are far too many barriers to doing business on the internet and that the opportunities to do it are not equally distributed throughout the world. To break down those barriers and make the opportunities available to anyone, we’re designing the future of tools and infrastructure for starting, running, and scaling an online business—from anywhere in the world. That’s where you come in: we’re looking for a diverse set of designers of many disciplines, skills, backgrounds, and specialities to join our growing team.
The Design team works across most projects at Stripe—from our brand voice and websites to events, web and mobile products, and even printed publications. And since Stripe’s main audience is other people who build products, we agonize over and take pride in crafting user-friendly and user-focused experiences.
About the Product Design team and the role
We’re about 40 people total on Design, and we’re divided into teams: Communication Design, Brand Design, Research, Writing, Design Operations, and of course, Product Design.
The Product Design team is responsible for the design systems that underpin all our products, as well as the specific screens and workflows that make up a product’s user experience. Our products include the Stripe Dashboard on web and mobile, which users rely on to run their business, as well as internal tools that other Stripes use to help our users and protect them against fraud or malicious actors. Other products we work on include Atlas, Sigma, Radar, and our external docs, used primarily by developers when integrating Stripe’s APIs. However, boundaries between teams are permeable, so you can certainly expect to collaborate with other designers and managers on a broad set of design challenges that don’t fall neatly into the Product Design category.
As the head of the team that works on the the most visible part of Stripe’s user experience, we’re looking for a very experienced leader who will have the chance to build out an already well-functioning and highly-skilled group of designers. We go to extraordinary lengths to produce world-class work, and you will get a chance to both deploy your hard-earned experience and stretch and build your skills in an organization where your area of work is highly valued.
- Lead the team that designs Stripe’s products and features
- Hire and develop managers, leads, and designers to meet business demands and employee development needs
- Contribute to strategic planning cycles for the Design team and company at large
- Work with Design and Stripe leadership to determine design direction
- Work closely with our Marketing, Comms, Product Management, Product Engineering, and senior leadership to deliver stunning and effective product interfaces and processes
- Help Stripe and the Design team expand our global focus by supporting distributed product teams and building design presence around the world
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Managed a growing team in a high-growth company
- Experience methodically developing team member skills and careers
- A strong ability to motivate and inspire people to do their best work
- A relentlessly customer-focused mindset
- Learned the leadership skills that only time can teach: improving organizational health, growing and hiring new leaders, and picking your battles
- Excellent written and spoken communication
- Integrated and collaborated seamlessly with researchers and writers on the strategies, implementation, and testing of product designs
- Found a meaningful balance between optimizing for speed, quality, and doing risky, but interesting work
- Experience with and affinity for highly complex product architectures
You should include these in your application:
- Your LinkedIn profile or resume
- A link to your portfolio (even and especially if it consists of or includes work done by your team)
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.