Head of Engineering, Mobile Merchant Experiences and Platform
Our aim is to redefine the standard of excellence for business-grade mobile applications, and we’re looking for an experienced manager of managers and engineering leader to build and lead our mobile merchant experiences teams in shaping the platform services and the mobile interfaces to Stripe products. In this role you’ll help shape the vision for the mobile merchant experiences, starting with our flagship mobile experience, the dashboard, and its reusable components and architecture, lead and grow strong teams of engineers led by talented engineering managers that you’ll recruit and mentor, build relationships with customers internally and externally, collaborate closely with your product management and design lead counterparts, partner closely with the Stripe Experience Platform organization on design systems and service architecture, and champion our vision of delivering the best mobile platform for customers to manage their Internet commerce. The Mobile Merchant Experiences and Platform organization is a unique environment where you’ll be working across all of Stripe’s products, working closely with our platform and design systems teams, guiding the future of Stripe’s mobile strategy through direct, personal influence, building both vertical product teams and horizontal platform teams, and working with world class engineers.
- Recruit, hire, scale, and develop teams of world-class engineers and engineering managers
- Be actively involved in strategic direction and product decisions that impact all of Stripe and Stripe customers
- Drive the iteration on features, tooling, and processes as we launch advancements in our mobile products and platform
- Contribute to the design, building, and maintenance of APIs, user-facing experiences, services, and systems
- Drive Operational Excellence across your team’s services
You may be a fit for this role if you’ve built diverse teams to tackle challenging technical problems and:
- Have at least 7+ years of engineering management experience in mobile development and 10 years of overall software development experience
- Think of yourself as entrepreneurial and enjoy moving quickly on new initiatives
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
Projects your teams may work on:
- Building API endpoints that make mobile development more scalable, reliable, and ergonomic
- Collaborating with Dashboard architecture and teams like Design Systems to map overall front end initiatives to your charter
- Creating high-value surfaces in Stripe’s existing Dashboard mobile application
- Driving the definition and implementation of reusable mobile architecture that aligns with capabilities across our other user-facing surfaces: mobile, web, docs, and CLI’s
You should include these in your application:
- A description of your work history in the form of a resume or LinkedIn profile
- [optional] If you’ve published apps or worked on open source mobile projects in the past, please include a link and description
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run, and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.