Head of Corporate Engineering
Head of Corporate Engineering
The mission of the Corporate Technology organization is to be Stripe’s strategic technology partner. We are focused on increasing business velocity through tooling, services, and infrastructure that enables Stripe to scale and increase the GDP of the internet.
At Stripe, managers grow teams and inspire them to do outstanding work. We are looking for a seasoned leader to take our Corporate Engineering organization to the next level. This highly strategic role will continually assess the needs of fellow Stripes and internal customers, driving world-class products that support tools and technology that improve productivity and security. The ideal candidate must be an effective change agent, working with senior leadership to build vision and strategies, balancing customer obsession, speed, cost, and risk to ensure the business is able to realize its objectives. The Head of Corporate Engineering is responsible for driving excellent technical judgement and decision making that correctly anticipate future scalability and reliability challenges across a global engineering team consisting of our internal infrastructure, networking, and client platform teams. Together, these teams provide secure and reliable foundations upon which internal tools are built and used by all Stripes. If you are a candidate who has the vision of what could be, who has the ability to cultivate relationships, and a belief in developing the skills and talents of others, then you may be the ideal person for this position.
- Hire, build and develop a high performing team of leaders and engineers who have responsibility for developing, implementing and maintaining our internal infrastructure services such as our IaaS platform, client platform fleet management, and our corporate networking services
- Develop an infrastructure product strategy and roadmap that enables the business through innovation and efficiencies, and incorporates reliability and security principles in alignment with the company goals
- Develop productive, collaborative, cross-functional relationships with various groups including key stakeholders, product consumers, providers, and the Security org
- Develop, maintain, and regularly report on success metrics that measure the operational health, performance, effectiveness and efficiency of the products the team is responsible for delivering
- Demonstrate hands-on technical depth that enables direct oversight, problem-solving leadership, and oversight of complex infrastructure implementation, system upgrades, and operational troubleshooting
- Ruthlessly prioritize workloads against available resources, level of impact, and desired business impact
Our ideal candidate will have:
- 10+ years of relevant experience including experience leading a 50+ engineering organization, a demonstrated ability to manage, motivate and hold accountable a high-performing, distributed team, and demonstrated ability to bring people together against a set of strategies and goals
- 10+ years of overall technical experience, including deep technical knowledge of infrastructure management of diverse local- and cloud-based topologies with strong emphasis on cloud infrastructure
- 8+ years of experience of managing products, budgets, and justifying resource needs to senior leaders and finance partners.
- Prior experience managing teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure, particularly cloud infrastructure involving distributed systems with varying access patterns and workloads
- Prior experience and demonstrated success delivering technical solutions in high-growth environments with a proven track record of innovative thinking balanced with a strong customer and quality focus
- Prior demonstrated experience being a catalyst for positive change, ability to influence and be influenced, all within in a global, fast-paced growth environment
- Forward-thinking strategist with proven success in translating strategy to tactical plans with high-quality execution and delivery.
- A healthy skepticism for the status quo and an unwillingness to settle
- An empathetic leader style and have a strong self-awareness
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.