Head of Compliance & Chief Risk Officer, EMEA
Stripe is a global technology company that builds infrastructure for online commerce. Our mission is to increase the GDP of the internet. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. As a regulated business, our Compliance team plays a critical role in ensuring the compliance and health of Stripe within the broader financial ecosystem.
In this dual role as regional Head of Compliance and Chief Risk Officer for our regulated entities in EMEA, you will ensure that Stripe continues to promote a culture of compliance and sound risk management by managing our regulatory compliance and enterprise risk management programs effectively in line with European regulatory requirements. You and your team will run programs for regulatory compliance (for all areas outside of financial crime) and enterprise risk management for our regulated entities in EMEA, coordinating across compliance and risk pillars and owners, and ensuring that Stripe meets the applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
You will represent regulatory compliance and enterprise risk management matters before our board of directors in EMEA—including performance reports, metrics, trend analyses, and recommendations—and represent these topics for Stripe in front of our regulators, managing relevant reporting to such regulators. In carrying out this role, you will work collaboratively with many internal stakeholder teams across the business, including Legal.
In this role you will:
- Be a PCF or “pre-approval controlled function” for Compliance and Risk for Stripe Technology Europe Limited (STEL), subject to pre-approval by the Central Bank of Ireland.
- Manage our Compliance team in EMEA.
- Implement and scale our regulatory compliance programs for our regulated entities in EMEA across first and second line compliance responsibilities (for all areas outside financial crime), including managing a robust regulatory reporting program; managing a comprehensive monitoring and testing program, and evaluating compliance controls; implementing and maintaining compliance policies and procedures; assessing the compliance requirements for new products and markets; maintaining our obligations inventory; coordinating regulatory assessments, audits, and inspections; managing cross-functional compliance issue management and remediation projects; and conducting cross-functional compliance training.
- Implement and scale our enterprise risk management program for our regulated entities in EMEA for the effective identification and management of risk, to the regulatory standard required; maintain and oversee risk assessments and risk registers; implement risk policies and assessments—such as those required for proposed new products and markets—ensuring that risk levels remain within established thresholds and tolerance; and implementing effective risk governance and oversight practices within the risk appetite defined for the region.
- Manage all regulatory compliance and enterprise risk reporting, and effectively communicate compliance and risk related topics internally to cross-functional stakeholders including at working, executive, and board level.
- Skillfully represent compliance and risk related topics externally before regulators and partners.
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- A deep understanding of the regulatory compliance and risk issues that a company like Stripe faces.
- 10+ years of experience in leading compliance/risk functions in the financial industry, preferably in fintech/payments and with EU-wide scope.
- A proven ability to build strong working relationships with industry counterparts, regulators, partners, and at board level.
- A history of maintaining the appropriate Fitness and Probity Standards as defined by the Central Bank of Ireland.
- Strong leadership skills and an ability to create a culture of rigour and compliance by design in a high growth oriented organisation.
- Well developed analytical and decision making skills with a keen sense of how to develop and articulate clear logic for decisions and policies.
- Ease and experience in working in technology driven environments.
- Exceptional people management skills, in the details on things that matter, and capable of leading teams by example through time-sensitive and high-pressure issues, and building high-performing teams.
- Excellent communication skills including an ability to convey a compelling vision for compliance and risk.
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and LinkedIn profile
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.