Global Indirect Tax Technology & Operations Lead
Stripe aims to expand internet commerce by making it easy for new businesses to get started and grow globally. Helping businesses accept payments from anywhere in the world and broadening the types of transactions that happen online, we aim to increase the GDP of the internet.
One of the most common requests from our users is to help them with indirect tax compliance as they expand their business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. The Global Indirect Tax Technology & Operations Lead will be a key team member as we build leading indirect tax features, tools, services, and other automation solutions for our users.
Our indirect tax technology and product team is comprised of tax professionals and software engineers that are responsible for building and maintaining end-to-end global transaction tax solutions (sales and use tax, VAT, GST, and other indirect taxes) for thousands of merchants that use Stripe software and API’s for payments and managing their business online. At Stripe, we are committed to building simple, user-friendly products and for this reason we are seeking a world-class Global Indirect Tax Technology & Operations Manager to join the team!
- Work closely with product and engineering teams to strategize, build, test, and expand tax technology solutions.
- Provide subject matter expertise to a variety of teams including Finance, Operations, Product, Engineering, Legal, and other business and technical teams.
- Create, implement, and operate a tax systems governance and compliance framework.
- Monitor developments of indirect tax policies across various global regions including work with internal policy teams and external advisors.
- Analyze current and proposed tax policy changes, evaluate tax product impacts, and develop and execute plans accordingly.
- Provide end-to-end transaction tax calculation requirements supporting tax product initiatives.
- Support the ongoing maintenance and enhancements of the tax products including jurisdiction and tax content expansion.
- Assist with managing partnership and other service provider relationships.
- Assist with drafting and maintaining tax product documentation and other user-facing topical materials.
- Establish, develop, and manage a team of professionals, both locally and globally, to support the global indirect tax technology & operations team.
We’re looking for someone with:
- 8+ years of relevant working experience in indirect tax.
- Bachelor’s degree in law, accounting, economics or related field.
- Prior indirect tax experience within a multinational and/or professional organization.
- Highly organized, self-motivated, detail oriented, and ability to work independently in a high pressure environment.
- A strong technical tax background that enables you to provide technology, automation, and other solution strategies.
- The ability to prioritize projects in a fast-changing environment.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Empathy and humility.
- Fluent in English.
You also likely have:
- Degree in tax or related field and/or professional qualification (CPA, JD or equivalent, Masters in Tax, or LLM or equivalent).
- Project-related experience building tax technology solutions with engineering and product teams.
- Knowledge of leading indirect tax compliance practices and technology solutions.
- Experience working in a high-growth technology environment or in the payments industry.
Please include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.