Full Stack Engineer, SMB
About the SMB Team:
At Stripe, we believe in a world where small businesses (SMBs) are able to thrive. That’s why we’re building the features, products, and infrastructure they need to run their online businesses. From easy payment acceptance, to invoicing tools, a conversion-optimized checkout experience, and more, we’re giving small businesses everything they need to grow and the SMB team is leading the charge.
About the Role:
Full stack engineers use their combinatory powers to bring systems together to build amazing experiences for users. As a Full Stack Engineer on the SMB team at Stripe, you’ll be building features that help small businesses effortlessly discover and use solutions that help them grow and serve their customers.
- Use data and user feedback to identify, design, build, and deliver improvements to Stripe’s onboarding experience to ensure SMBs are able to quickly and delightfully find and use the products most suited to their business
- Participate in developing and delivering on Stripe’s strategy to serve SMBs and provide them with the tools they need to run and grow their companies
- Uphold our high engineering standards and improve our practices in engineering, security, and design
- Be part of an emerging team, iterating rapidly on a new product to solve a well-understood problem
- Contribute a voice in discussions about strategy, tooling, processes, and culture as we establish subsequent phases in our roadmap and team identity
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have four or more years of experience in full time software development or similar role
- Have a strong technical background, with two or more years of experience building impactful products end to end
- Have an entrepreneurial mindset
- Enjoy being a generalist working on the frontend, backend, and anything it takes to solve problems and delight users
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Can put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great experiences
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise and backgrounds
You might work on:
- Helping new Stripe users discover and navigate to the products and features that are most relevant to them
- Improve analytics to understand user behavior and enable an iterative, data-driven approach to product development
- Building new dashboard functionality targeted to SMBs
- Adding new functionality to the Stripe dashboard to help users run their business
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.