Full Stack Engineer, Internationalization
The internationalization team helps Stripes create wonderful product experiences for users regardless of geography
The internationalization team works with both technical and non-technical Stripes to make our product surfaces feel as if they were made in the locales of our users. We sometimes build tools and abstractions which let other Stripes easily create localized products for their users. Occasionally, we embed directly into product teams to build out localized product experiences.
As an early engineer on this team you’ll directly shape our strategy for helping all Stripe users receive a truly localized experience. This work is particularly cross-functional. We’re looking for folks who get excited by both hard technical problems and thinking deeply about the experiences of users all over the world.
As an internationalization engineer you will:
- Work across Stripe’s stack to improve the localized product experience for users all over the world.
- Build tools and infrastructure to enable other Stripes to make well-localized products.
- Identify and scope projects to improve Stripe’s product surfaces in nascent markets.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Are passionate about helping folks build successful internet businesses regardless of geography.
- Have at least 3 years of experience as a full-stack engineer. Bonus points if you’ve spent at least one year building software to improve the productivity of other engineering teams.
- Have scoped, implemented, and maintained at least one multi-month engineering project alongside a team of engineers—particularly if that project was cross-functional in nature or spanned multiple engineering teams.
You might build:
- Functionality in our documentation site to improve the experience of our users outside of the US.
- Infrastructure to track the lifetime of a translation.
- Tooling to support translators in producing high-quality, on-brand translations for all of our products.
What’s it like to work at Stripe? Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.