Frontend Platform Engineer, Developer Productivity
As a Frontend Platform Engineer, you’ll join a team that designs, builds, evolves, and maintains the foundational frontend ecosystem that enables web development at Stripe. Your decisions will have a significant impact on Stripe and on the productivity of Stripe engineers. There’s a lot of work to do to make our platform even more reliable and powerful than it is today, and we’d love for you to be part of it. Our users are other Stripe engineers, so we constantly get feedback that we can use to make our systems better.
We’re looking for engineers with a strong background in building and owning systems and tools. Many of our engineers work remotely, and we’d be happy to talk to you about the possibility of working remote.
- Design, build, evolve, and maintain the foundational frontend ecosystem and underlying tools used by all of Stripe’s product engineering teams
- Own and drive changes that increase the productivity of Stripe engineers working on frontend applications
- Work with your teammates to own and innovate on the frontend development experience at Stripe
- Build a great experience for people using your team’s products
To get a concrete idea of what projects you might work on here, see the “Projects you could work on” section.
We’re looking for someone who …
- Thinks deeply about systems — their edge cases, failure modes, and lifecycles
- Knows their way around the modern frontend ecosystem, and has worked on complex web applications with a global user base
- Can debug problems that span systems, and design solutions that span the whole stack
- Is energized by focusing on the needs of our users, both internal and external
- Holds themselves and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Writes high quality code, and is willing to work outside frontend technologies
- Is adept at clear, concise, well-organized written communication about their work
- Has at least 4 years of experience as a software engineer
It’s not expected that any single candidate would check every box here — what’s important is that you arrive with a strong set of fundamentals, and that you’re committed to investing in the new skills you’ll need to do your best work. A frontend background may be helpful, but we’re especially interested in candidates who are eager to work on solutions that increase the productivity and happiness of frontend developers, no matter where they have to work in the stack.
Projects you could work on
- Drive frontend reliability improvements across Stripe products, through new platforms, capabilities, and best-in-class tools that give engineers rapid visibility into how their changes are affecting users
- Enable step-change improvements in our frontend build times by experimenting with new technologies like esbuild
- Improve the day-to-day frontend development experience of Stripe engineers by supporting rapid iteration and real time feedback about accessibility, performance, browser compatibility, and more
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.