Frontend Engineer, Payments Product
You might work on:
- The new version of Stripe.js, Elements and Checkout. You’ll write code that Stripe’s users deploy to build powerful, performant, fraud-fighting checkout forms. Because Stripe.js runs in other people’s forms, globally, and across many different browsers, you’ll deal with tight performance constraints and bundle sizes. You’ll work on everything from build optimizations to API design to multi-frame platform abstractions to browser-specific animation tweaks, all in service of giving Stripe’s users less to worry about.
- The Stripe Dashboard, which is Stripe’s single page application for running a business on the internet. What started out as a simple payments dashboard has grown to include business insights, account configuration and onboarding, security tools, Radar, Atlas, Billing, and every other product Stripe is building. Frontend engineers at Stripe work both on the platform for the Dashboard and on individual products themselves.
- Support platform that powers our high-quality, high-touch support experience through products like live chat, click-to-call phone support, dynamic and contextual contact forms, and measure our success through quick customer satisfaction surveys.
- Stripe’s vast array of internal tools, including Stripe Admin, used across teams to investigate merchants and charges, and Stripe Home, where Stripes go to learn about events, other Stripes, operating principles, and search our ever-growing internal knowledge base. Stripe amplifies its efficiency through investment in internal tools, and each of those tools has its own unique set of frontend engineering challenges and a tight feedback loop of approachable internal users.
- Frontend experiences for Connect that make it as easy as possible to participate in the Internet economy and receive money online. Some of Stripe’s largest users are platforms that connect senders of payments with receivers of payments. Lyft connects riders to drivers, Kickstarter connects backers to projects, and Squarespace connects shoppers to online stores. All of them participate in doing business online, and all of them directly or indirectly use Stripe.
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Ideally 7+ years of experience shipping high-quality products
- Empathy with the many different types of users who use Stripe’s UIs
- An interest in building UIs with modern tools like ES6, React, Redux, PostCSS, Flow, and Webpack
- An ability to think through customer requirements to come up with high-impact ways of quickly solving their problems
- A passion about performance, accessibility, and API design
- A high bar for quality of code and quality of user experience
- Comfortability working in a large frontend codebase with many stakeholders
- Attention to the details
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.