Engineering Manager, Support Products
Support Products builds the user interfaces and backend infrastructure that let Stripe users talk to Stripe teams thousands of times every day.
The Support Products engineering team builds and improves Stripe’s support experience, including paid support offerings, from end to end: how users get help within our products, how they get in touch with us when they have questions, and how our teams use internal tools to answer those questions. We’re accountable for the quality and reliability of this support stack and we use data and firsthand user research to continuously improve it.
We’re looking for engineering managers to lead and grow a strong team of engineers, build relationships with customers internally and externally, and champion our vision of building the best platform for internet commerce. We’re a small, distributed team of capable, friendly, user-oriented engineers and we partner closely with Stripe’s world-class design, product, infrastructure, and operational teams.
- Recruit, hire, scale, and develop an amazing team of engineers
- Be actively involved in strategic direction and product decisions that impact all of Stripe and Stripe customers
- Iterate rapidly on features, tooling, and processes as we launch first versions of new products
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, user-facing experiences, services, and systems
- Drive operational excellence across your team’s services
You may be a fit for this role if:
- You’ve built diverse teams to tackle challenging technical problems and:
- Have at least 2 years of engineering management experience and 8 years of overall software development experience
- Think of yourself as entrepreneurial and enjoy moving quickly on new, green-field initiatives
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
Projects your team may work on:
- Defining the technical vision and architecture for Stripe’s support products and systems.
- Building engaging, responsive user interfaces that make it truly enjoyable to get help from Stripe. For example, we used React to build a chat UI from the ground up so that it would feel at home in the Stripe Dashboard.
- Scaling the contact platform that connects Stripe users with the teams that are best equipped to help them. This might involve implementing new API endpoints for use across multiple products, iterating on data pipelines to maximize visibility into our support operations, or adding to our billing pipeline so that we can offer paid support plans in new regions.
- Improving the internal tools that empower our user-facing teams to build new case-solving workflows, publish dynamic, localized content to our user-facing support site, and answer every support request with the right context for any user.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run, and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.