Engineering Manager, Stripe Capital ML Infrastructure
Stripe builds economic infrastructure to increase the GDP of the internet. The Capital team plays a critical part in that mission by giving Stripe’s merchants access to the funds they need to grow. We offer fast, fair funding to businesses who are underserved by the traditional financial system. Our success comes from continuing to invest in Stripe’s merchants over years and helping them grow along with us.
Capital is growing quickly, and to sustain our trajectory, we are investing heavily in our underwriting—the process of identifying which merchants we can work with, and on what terms. We start with years of payments data from Stripe’s merchants, combine it with additional merchant-supplied data, and then run the resulting signals through ML- and data pipelines to generate hundreds of thousands of offers to our users.
We’re looking for an engineering manager to lead our Underwriting Engineering team. You’d take a hands-on role guiding the technical vision for the team, laying out plans for rearchitecting our data pipelines and for integrating Underwriting’s technology across relevant products and infrastructure at Stripe. In addition, you’d be responsible for developing the team’s considerable talent; recruiting an extraordinary, diverse set of new team members; and working closely with functional leads for Capital, including our heads of risk, data science, capital markets, and servicing.
Capital—both as a team and as a product—is at an inflection point. If you are excited about playing a broad, hands-on leadership role within an emerging business, we’d love to speak with you.
- Work closely with engineers across Capital and your cross-functional partners to drive the technical strategy for Capital’s underwriting infrastructure
- Recruit, hire, scale, and develop an amazing team of engineers
- Be actively involved in strategic direction for Capital
- Work closely with our users and financial partners on a daily basis
- Design, build, and maintain infrastructure, services, and tools
- Engineer solutions across systems such as core money-movement infrastructure, data pipelines, banking systems, and more
- Leverage the best of Stripe’s stack or build from the ground up when prudent
- Debug production issues across services at multiple levels of the stack
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have led new, diverse teams to tackle challenging technical problems
- Have at least 3 years of engineering management experience and 8 years of overall software development experience
- You have 2 years of experience leading a data, ML, or infrastructure team
- Believe in the power of technology to empower talented people (such as Capital’s credit analysts and data scientists) to do their best work
- Think of yourself as entrepreneurial and enjoy moving quickly on new, green-field products
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise. Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers, to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.