Engineering Manager, Ruby Application Infrastructure
Build the infrastructure powering Stripe's engineers
The Ruby Application Infrastructure (Ruby Infra) team supports the productivity of Stripe’s Ruby engineers by creating and supporting cross cutting infrastructural libraries, services, and utilities; establishing and enforcing clean Ruby coding patterns; making sweeping code changes that improve the quality of Ruby at Stripe; and improving Ruby build times and reliability.
Ruby is the main programming language used to build the business logic behind Stripe’s products. Ruby Infra enables this essential technology to be used productively by Stripe engineers. That’s not easy - we work with a code base of several million lines of code (and counting), used by hundreds of engineers across the globe and we must focus at many levels of the stack - but what we do is key to allowing Stripe engineers working in Ruby to have the most productive time of their career while building and running the core business logic that Stripe and its customers need in order to thrive. We’re looking for a leader to help run this high impact, high leverage, and high visibility team.
- Work with other Stripe leaders to design and lead developer productivity best practices
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity, reliability, and simplicity - Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Help engineers advance in their careers and develop new skills
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be a good fit if:
- You have a passion for supporting developer productivity – Ruby experience is NOT required
- You’ve managed teams that designed and operated critical infrastructure, particularly with a broad remit across core capabilities, builds, and quality
- You are empathetic to customer needs but visionary enough to not just deliver a faster horse
- You’re comfortable planning in quarters, and can set a vision for several years
- You’ve successfully recruited and built great teams
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- You have clear and persuasive writing and in-person communication
- You are excited about collaborating with teammates across Stripe’s organization, to provide a wonderful user experience for key developer workflows
- You are comfortable working with geographically distributed teams
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.