Engineering Manager of Managers, Data Engineering, Data Warehouse
As the Head of Engineering for Stripe Data Warehouse, you’ll be leading a group of engineers to partner very closely with a large number of product and engineering teams at Stripe, Tech Programs, and Data Science, to ensure Stripe’s business and user success, build the long-term technologies required underneath, and empowers Stripe’s users and business functions to make business critical decisions and operations based on the data provided by this team.
While the Data Warehouse org is critical and central to Stripe’s business, it needs to work across a unique mix of infrastructures, software platforms, products, and organizational challenges. We are looking for an experienced and senior engineering leader with a strong background or interest in working across these domains to set directions, make difficult decisions, deliver high quality work and outsized impact, and build strong partnerships and alliances.
- Work with engineers and product management to build software and systems that power and materialize the revenue models across Stripe’s product suite, and deliver a surprisingly great experience to our customers.
- Work with functions and teams across the company to enable our business’ fast growth.
- Empower the engineering team to achieve a high level of technical productivity and quality
- Manage an excellent team of engineers, helping to develop their careers with stretch projects and excellent feedback
- Recruit a diverse team of engineers and managers that are amongst the best in the industry, from outreach through close
- Hire, mentor and coach engineering managers to create healthy and well-executing teams Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as part of the engineering management team
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 6+ years of engineering management experience, including experience as a third line manager (i.e. managing other managers of managers).
- Experience with building distributed systems, large scale data processing, and complex data models.
- Experience working closely with Product Management and Technical Programs (such as TPMs and Program Managers).
- Successfully built a team, defined its mission, and executed on its goals.
- Strong track record of delivering high quality outcomes and impact effectively and efficiently.
- Effectively recruited, mentored, and retained great people, who are extremely effective over the long term.
- The ability to thrive with a high level of autonomy, responsibility, and ambiguity.
- The ability to work well cross functionally, and are able to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- Experience managing and growing an organization of 40-50 engineers.
- Experience in data warehouses, data marts, and analytical and reporting data needs is a nice plus.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.