Engineering Manager of Managers, Data Platform
Our Data Platform organization provides industry-leading tooling to store, compute, model, and query Stripe’s data at scale in batch and in real-time. The big data group builds tools and supports the underlying infrastructure to support the offline data pipelines- from ingestion, computation and transformation to a rich querying experience. This is the core foundation in driving all of our product decisions that directly impact Stripe’s customer experience. It empowers everything from ML-based customer-facing products to payment reconciliation to financial reporting. It is leveraged across the company to build data models for recommendations. Our stack must meet an extremely high bar for security, privacy, reliability and efficiency.
We are constantly evolving our infrastructure to support Stripe’s growing needs to build a best-in-class industry leading data platform.
- Work with engineers and other leaders at Stripe to understand how data infrastructure can enable engineers across Stripe to build secure, reliable and scalable products
- Support the engineering team in achieving a high level of technical quality, reliability, and developer satisfaction
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Mentor and coach managers to create healthy and well-executing teams
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Managed teams that have shipped and operated critical data infrastructure, involving distributed systems with a heavy dependence on read-write workloads
- A genuine enjoyment of learning and diving into the nuts-and-bolts of how things work, with the ability to question and direct architectural decisions
- The ability to work very well cross-functionally, and the ability to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- A strong quantitative and analytical background
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- The desire to encourage a healthy, inclusive work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- Successfully recruited and built great teams
- Experience growing teams of 25+ engineers
- Managed managers for 2+ years
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.