Engineering Manager, Latency and Performance
Optimize latency and performance of Stripe’s products, improve system architecture and utilization of computing resources, and enable delightful end-user experiences.
Stripe’s infrastructure powers businesses all over the world. With Stripe, our users process payments, run marketplaces, detect fraud, and start internet businesses from anywhere in the world. Our Latency & Performance team is a team of highly skilled engineers who optimize the systems that power our products and solve performance bottlenecks at every layer of the stack.
As an Engineering Manager for the team, you’ll drive the vision and direction, optimizing for our users’ needs. You’ll work with various product and infrastructure engineering teams to help identify bottlenecks via creative analysis and tooling design. We’re looking for leaders with strong collaboration skills and a background (or demonstrated interest!) in performance engineering.
In addition to supporting the Latency & Performance team, you’ll foster a culture of performance engineering at Stripe. You’ll operate in an environment of high autonomy, with accountability driven through impact and focused execution on the problems of highest leverage.
You’ll be on a team that builds tools used by the rest of Stripe’s engineering org. You’ll collaborate on cross-organizational engineering projects in both product and infrastructure. You’ll make decisions with a significant impact on Stripe and our ability to continue to delight our users. There is a lot of work left to do to achieve Stripe’s ambitious product performance goals, and we’d love for you to be part of it.
Many of our infrastructure engineers work remotely, and we’d be happy to discuss the possibility of remote work for this role.
- Recruit, coach and develop engineers
- Drive Stripe’s user-facing latency strategy, identifying the roadmap and priorities not only for your team, but also across other product and infrastructure teams, to help drive the highest leverage latency projects
- Lead the team to be the driving force that identifies and debugs bottlenecks to improve end-user experience, evaluating technological changes to improve performance
- Enable Stripe’s systems to scale effectively by making informed trade-offs around reliability, latency, cost, and other performance constraints
- Support the team in achieving a high level of technical excellence and impact by focusing on providing a great user experience for people using your infrastructure and tools
- Work with many leaders across Stripe to develop a shared vision of Stripe’s performant design and architecture
- Conduct deep-dives on product design and architecture, in collaboration with various Engineering teams, driving latency optimization initiatives and having a direct impact on product development
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have led teams with responsibility for performance engineering at scale, for building scalable distributed systems, or for performance-sensitive applications
- Work very well cross-functionally and are able to think rigorously, communicate effectively, and make hard decisions and tradeoffs.
- Thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- Can operate at a high level of abstraction, while having the ability to dig into technical details, asking engineers insightful questions about architecture and product decisions
- Encourage a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- Have at least 4 years of engineering management experience
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.