Engineering Manager, Developer Tools
The Developer Productivity group at Stripe builds the platforms and frameworks that provide engineers with the best-in-class language, architecture and tooling with the aim to enable high productivity. We’re a group of internally focused infrastructure engineers whose customers are all of Stripe engineering.
We’re looking for a manager to lead the Developer Tooling team based in San Francisco. For 2019 this team will continue to focus on building tools for the edit-refresh-test loop for application development and scaling our source control infrastructure and integrations.
- Work with a team of technically sophisticated engineers who make developer experience their first priority
- Empower the team to solve problems for fellow Stripe engineers by understanding their needs and coming up with both short term workarounds and long term solutions
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Work with stakeholders across Stripe to balance and accommodate competing priorities
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Successfully built a team, defined the mission, and achieved your goals
- Successfully recruited and retained great people to your teams
- The ability to balance the reliability, usability, compliance and cost of critical systems
- Deeply technical ability but prefers to lean on your leadership skills
- Comfort planning in quarters and halves and also has experience planning in years
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- An excitement about collaborating with teammates across Stripe’s organization
Who you’ll work with:
At Stripe, we encourage you to write and speak about your work and share your knowledge! Also, we think it’s important to get an idea of who you’ll be working with. Here are a few Stripe infrastructure engineers giving talks! (If you don’t like to give talks, that’s fine – many very well-respected Stripe engineers don’t.)
- Amy Nguyen, “UX Design and Education for Effective Monitoring Tools”
- Julia Evans, “A swiss army knife of debugging tools”
- Evan Broder, “The Architecture that Helps Stripe Move Faster”
- Oscar Boykin, “Counting Approximately at Scale”
- Andreas Fuchs “I’m not a number, I’m a free file descriptor!!” (this talk isn’t really about “work” so much as “interesting systems things”, but it’s a delightfully Andreas talk)
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups. We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.