Engineering Manager, Data Platform
Enabling Stripe to produce insights and decisions from Big Data
Stripe’s infrastructure powers businesses all over the world. With Stripe, our users process payments, run marketplaces, detect fraud, and start internet businesses from anywhere in the world. Our Data Platform team has highly skilled engineers that build the infrastructure that ingests business data for offline processing and analysis: we are defining how Big Data works at Stripe. Our platform empowers everything from ML-based customer-facing products to payment reconciliation to financial reporting. We must meet an extremely high bar for security, privacy, and reliability, and demonstrate that bar to our customers.
Stripe processes billions of dollars yearly for millions of users, from the largest enterprises to a startup making their first sale. The information we make available allows Stripe and those users to invent systems and make decisions that empower their growth. Knowing this, Stripe invests deeply in our infrastructure.
We are looking for a manager who is excited about leading technology teams in innovation. You will solve challenging distributed systems problems as well as develop partnerships with other Stripe engineers to establish empathy and understand their use-cases.
- Recruit, coach and develop engineers
- Work with many leaders across Stripe to develop a shared vision of Stripe’s performant design and architecture
- Operate in an environment of high autonomy, with accountability driven through impact and focused execution on the problems of highest leverage
- Enable Stripe’s systems to scale effectively by making informed trade-offs around security, reliability, latency, cost, and many other often-competing constraints
- Conduct deep-dives on product design and architecture, in collaboration with various Engineering teams and having a direct impact on product development
You may be a good fit if:
- You have managed teams that shipped and operated critical infrastructure; bonus if you’ve done this in the open source, batch/streaming data infrastructure domain
- You have successfully recruited and built great teams
- You have worked with geographically distributed teams
- You work very well cross-functionally and are able to think rigorously, communicate effectively, and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- You thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility, while having the ability to dig into technical details to inform decisions
- You have at least 3 years of engineering management experience
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.