Engineering Manager, Cards Processing
Help Stripe scale our core payments infrastructure and operations.
We are hiring an Engineering Manager to help lead the Card Processing team. You will manage and grow this team of backend engineers; collaborate with a number of internal teams to deliver key features for businesses; and interact with our financial partners.
- Work with Stripe leaders across the company to create and deliver on the vision of Stripe’s global payment platform
- Drive the roadmap and priorities for your team, and work with dependencies across the company
- Be deeply involved in understanding and operationalizing new payments capabilities and new product and market launches
- Support the engineering team in maintaining a high level of stability and technical excellence
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work and interface effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit great engineers, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop engineers on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of Stripe’s engineering management team
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Managed teams that regularly delivered features atop critical infrastructure. You will have significant responsibility over the funds flowing through Stripe, and the ability to make or break Stripe’s future
- A genuine enjoyment of learning and diving into the nuts-and-bolts of global money movement - in this role, you will learn a ton about debit and credit card processing, how Visa and Mastercard operate a technical level, how payment complexities are represented in the Stripe API and many more topics
- The ability to work very well cross-functionally, and to think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- The ability to thrive on a high level of autonomy and responsibility
- The desire to encourage a healthy work environment that is both supportive and challenging
- At least a few years of engineering management experience
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.