Developer Advocate, Billing
Join our Developer Advocate team and work directly with our Stripe Billing product as its first developer experience engineer.
In this role you will collaborate directly with the Stripe Billing product team and focus on making the best possible experience for developers building using Billing’s APIs. Your domain will be any area where developers interact with Subscriptions, Invoices, Products, Plans, and other Billing products. You will create great resources to help these developers build with Stripe, including sample integrations, blog posts, and documentation. You will provide feedback on and help guide the design of Billing’s APIs, and craft an amazing developer experience for Stripe’s users.
Working alongside Developer Advocates and product teams, you will be focused on the engineering aspects of the developer experience. You will act as customer zero to ensure our APIs, SDKs, and developer products meet the needs of our developer communities, and advance the state of the art in developer experience.
- Partner directly with Stripe Billing’s engineering team and advocate on behalf of the developer as the team builds APIs and other developer-facing features.
- Build developer tools, client libraries, and reference integrations to continuously improve the developer experience.
- Provide feedback on API design, platform consistency, and functionality.
- Advocate for the needs of our developer community, and bring their feedback back to the Billing product team.
- Influence the direction of our developer products by gathering insights from our developer community.
We’re looking for someone who is:
- Very empathetic to the challenges developers have when learning and integrating new APIs.
- Adept at communicating technically complicated topics simply and elegantly.
- Comfortable with one or more general purpose programming languages and can be hands-on with full-stack development projects.
- Experienced designing APIs and building web applications.
- Creative, intellectually curious, with great problem-solving skills.
You should include these in your application:
- Code you’re proud of.
- Products or projects you’ve worked on.
- Languages you are fluent in, both human and technical.
- What you find most interesting about Stripe.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.