Data Science Manager, Sales and Marketing
Stripe builds the most powerful and flexible tools for running an internet business. We handle billions of dollars each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. More than half of US internet users have purchased something from a Stripe user in the past year.
We are seeking an experienced science leader to head our Sales and Marketing Data Science team. You will define the vision and strategy for a greenfield portfolio of data science products, build out an already well-functioning and highly-skilled group of data scientists to a thriving data science organization, while rolling up your sleeves to work directly with the team. You will drive innovation at the intersection of statistics, machine learning and economics to solve a broad range of problems including, but not limited to: measuring lift and return on investment across self-serve, marketing and sales channels; experimentation on key Stripe user-facing surfaces, marketing campaigns, and sales methodologies; optimizing resource and sales headcount allocation; defining sales territories; understanding, and optimizing performance across all stages of a user’s lifecycle from awareness to adoption and retention; anomaly detection; predicting user value and propensity to buy across Stripe’s portfolio of products; forecasting performance metrics to set targets for entire organizations and for individual sales team members; designing sales compensation models; pricing, bundling, and contracting.
This is an exciting opportunity to partner with go-to-market and technical leaders to scale sales and marketing functions and to shape business strategy at the forefront of driving Stripe’s revenue and growth. You will have broad exposure across product, finance, and data science teams, solve challenging and ambiguous business problems, and operate with autonomy in a dynamic, high-growth environment.
- Develop the long-term vision and strategy for a new team with an ambitious mission to build a greenfield portfolio of state-of-the art data science products for sales and marketing
- Partner closely with sales, marketing, product, operations, engineering and data science teams to influence business strategy, identify opportunities, build scalable solutions for critical problems, and evangelize the integration of data science products into systems, processes and decisions
- Support the data science team in achieving a high level of technical quality, business impact, and a relentlessly customer-focused mindset
- Manage processes to help the team do its best work, collaborate in an open and inclusive environment, and engage effectively with the rest of Stripe
- Recruit a talented and diverse team of data scientists and analysts, in collaboration with Stripe’s recruiting team
- Develop data scientists and analysts on the team, helping them advance in their careers
- Contribute to data science programs and initiatives as a member of Stripe’s community of data science leaders
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A PhD or MS in a quantitative field (e.g., statistics, economics, sciences, mathematics, engineering)
- 5-8+ years of hands-on experience building quantitative solutions
- 3+ years of management experience leading and growing diverse, high-performing teams in a healthy work environment that’s both supportive and challenging
- Expertise in statistics, machine learning, causal inference, forecasting and/or and experimental design
- Proficiency in a scientific computing language (such as R or Python) and SQL
- Experience designing, deploying and maintaining scalable production models
- Strong ability to solve ambiguous and complex business problems, think rigorously and make hard decisions and tradeoffs
- A track record building strong collaborative relationships with business and technical partners, excellent stakeholder management and influencing skills
- Exceptional ability to communicate strategy and technical concepts clearly across disciplines, organizations, and senior audiences
- A can-do attitude, empathy, commitment to great results, and genuine passion for learning
Nice to haves:
- Prior experience working with sales, marketing, and operations teams
- Experience building data science solutions using distributed computing platforms
- Experience managing managers
- Familiarity with industry best practices for distributed teams
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.