Stripe is looking to hire a privacy counsel with a love for data, technology, and privacy.
Security, privacy, and transparency are important to Stripe and our users. We are looking for a driven, forward-looking and innovative attorney to work on a variety of privacy and data protection work.
You will be part of the team that works to ensure that Stripe’s products and business operations comply with laws, ethics and best practices in data protection and privacy.
The right person will be comfortable with technology and applying evolving laws to innovative products and practices and pays attention to the details when it matters and does not forget the big picture. The candidate must be team-oriented, agile, adept at multitasking and be able to thrive in a changing and rapidly growing environment.
- Help scale the Stripe Legal team’s incident response capabilities
- Assist Stripe’s privacy and data protection team with the development, maintenance and enhancement of Stripe’s global privacy program, including preparing and maintaining related documentation and record-keeping
- Support the product, commercial and regulatory teams with tailored advice on privacy and data protection law, bearing in mind privacy by design and privacy by default principles
- Partner to implement and improve scalable processes to best serve our Users
- Collaborate closely with talented engineers to implement and improve Stripe’s privacy, data protection and data minimization tooling
- Participate as a proactive business partner to senior managers and build a trusted advisor relationship
We’re looking for someone who:
- Is enthusiastic, proactive and resourceful, with strong judgment
- Is an agile multi-tasker, comfortable with moving priorities
- When the pace picks up, you get focused and look for ways to de-escalate
- Is able to work hard when the times call for it, but are also looking to work efficiently
- Likes to learn and to challenge yourself, and are curious about an evolving industry and have a great personality
To be considered for this role, you must have:
- JD degree (or foreign equivalent) with membership in at least one US state bar
- 6+ years combined relevant experience in a top law firm, government agency, and/or in-house legal team, ideally working on the privacy and data protection aspects of product development in the financial services and/or technology spaces, including GDPR and CCPA implementation
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to the right details, with significant practical experience in overseeing multiple large cross-organizational projects
- Strong strategic thinking to enable business partners to make decisions that are grounded in a practical application of law, ethics, technology, and the business goals
- Please include a resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.