Credit Underwriting Analyst
Stripe handles billions of dollars every year for businesses around the world, and the Risk team plays a critical role in the company’s financial and partnership health. As an underwriter on the Commercial Business Risk, you will conduct detailed investigations on the financial history of businesses and individuals to determine their creditworthiness and make recommendations on whether any mitigations are necessary to protect Stripe while preserving a positive user experience. Being on the front lines of making onboarding decisions for some of our top merchants, you’ll be in a high-impact role that will require cross-functional partnership with Sales, Legal, and Finance.
- Review financial statements and/or commercial credit tools to conduct detailed investigations into merchant creditworthiness.
- Make recommendations on the supportability of merchants and whether any interventions are necessary to mitigate credit risk.
- Refine tools and practices to increase the efficiency of reviews, the accuracy of our decisions, and the quality of entrepreneurs’ experience.
- Work with internal and external partners to support entrepreneurs around the world.
We’re looking for people who:
- Have 1-2 years of commercial credit underwriting experience conducting business cash-flow analysis and related credit analysis
- Have comprehensive knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP) and comfort with reading and interpreting financial statements
- Can think critically about complex problems, appropriately weight many factors and reach a definitive conclusion.
- Are efficient, and enjoy working in a fast-paced, high-volume environment.
- Love writing, and can do so quickly and clearly.
- Have deep empathy for entrepreneurs starting a business, and are motivated to solve problems to empower them.
- Are persistent and thorough, willing to go the extra mile to understand specific cases and examine underlying causes.
- Are curious, decisive, understanding, and persistent.
Nice to have:
- Experience in a role supporting users at a technology company
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.