Credit Underwriting Analyst
Help us build data-driven, scalable policies that enable profitable growth, control credit losses, and support a trustworthy and equitable payments ecosystem.
Stripe is responsible for fueling the payments of tens of thousands of businesses across the globe. As a credit underwriting analyst, you’ll work on one of the most challenging problems at the company: assessing and monitoring credit risk.
As a credit underwriter, you will conduct detailed investigations on the financial history of businesses and individuals to determine their creditworthiness and make recommendations on whether any mitigations are necessary to protect Stripe while preserving a positive user experience. Being on the front lines of making onboarding decisions for some of our top merchants, you’ll be in a high-impact role that will require cross-functional partnership with Sales, Legal, and Finance.
- Review financial statements and/or commercial credit tools to conduct detailed investigations into merchant creditworthiness
- Make recommendations on the supportability of merchants and whether any interventions are necessary to mitigate credit risk
- Refine tools and practices to increase the efficiency of reviews, the accuracy of our decisions, and the quality of entrepreneurs’ experience
- Work with internal and external partners to support entrepreneurs around the world
We’re looking for someone who has:
- 1-2 years of commercial credit underwriting experience conducting business cash-flow analysis and related credit analysis
- Comprehensive knowledge of accounting principles (GAAP) and comfort with reading and interpreting financial statements
- The ability to think critically about complex problems, appropriately weight many factors and reach a definitive conclusion
- The drive to be efficient, and enjoys working in a fast-paced, high-volume environment
- An enjoyment of writing, and can do so quickly and clearly
- Deep empathy for entrepreneurs starting a business, and are motivated to solve problems to empower them
- A persistent and thorough personality, willing to go the extra mile to understand specific cases and examine underlying causes
- A curious, decisive, understanding, and persistent personality
Nice to haves:
- Experience with payments, risk, compliance, or the financial industry
- Experience in a role supporting users at a technology company
- This role is based at our headquarters in San Francisco.
- This will be a 12 month fixed-term position.
Include these in your application:
- Your resume or LinkedIn profile.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.