Corporate Counsel - Global Governance
Help us scale our Corporate legal team and grow internationally!
The Corporate Affairs team at Stripe serves as essential connective tissue across all of Stripe, including the Finance, Accounting, Treasury, Tax, People, Recruiting, and Workplace teams. We’re looking for an experienced corporate counsel to join our team in San Francisco or Seattle to help oversee corporate governance in 20+ countries. In this role you will primarily work to ensure best-in-class governance and oversight at the parent level down to Stripe’s regulated entities across the globe.
In this role you will:
- Serve as in-house counsel for Stripe’s global corporate governance team that oversees legal entities in over 20 countries;
- Provide strategic advice on corporate governance and corporate social responsibility;
- Assist the corporate secretary in all corporate secretarial function matters, including preparation of notices, agendas and materials for board of directors and committee meetings, including board minutes, resolutions and actions, managing the board and committees’ meeting cadence;
- Coordinate and lead board meetings across Stripe’s regulated entities;
- Collaborate with Stripe’s corporate and finance teams, as well as outside counsel, to draft and manage intercompany agreements;
- Identify and benchmark emerging and leading corporate governance practices relevant to the financial services industry and facilitate implementation, where appropriate; and
- Assist the three existing corporate attorneys on a variety of other legal work important to the growth of our business, including tax, treasury, insurance, real estate and other strategic transactions. You’ll also jump in on material and strategic transactions.
You may be a good fit for this role if you:
- Have meticulous attention to detail and strong subject matter expertise (there are many “governance” lawyers out there, but this is a unique opportunity for someone with strong practical governance experience at the parent and subsidiary level in and outside of the U.S.)
- Have worked in or closely with fast growing, venture backed technology start up companies.
- Are humble and energized by a team that cares about one another. You will always have a team member’s back and put the best face forward for the team and Legal department as a whole.
- Have a strong work ethic and passionate commitment to Stripe (you will be excited to be here and will want to go the extra mile)
- Have at least 5+ years of experience working on corporate governance at a major law firm.
- Have a good understanding of corporate governance of regulated institutions, whether in financial services, payments or otherwise.
- Are willing to jump in and do whatever needs doing, whether or not it fits squarely in your area of expertise.
- Love technology and are a quick study on new things.
- Are admitted to practice law in one or more US states (CA or WA preferred).
- Are unfailingly discreet, able to deal with confidential and often highly sensitive information with the utmost care.
- Are a great communicator and solid project manager, able to effectively prioritize and advance a large number of deals happening simultaneously, often on tight deadlines.
- Are able to manage outside counsel across multiple jurisdictions to ensure timely and knowledgeable support of our regulated financial entities.
- Include a resume and LinkedIn profile.
- Include a 1-2 paragraph summary of how you resolved the most interesting issue in your legal career (respecting client secrets and confidences, of course!).
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.