Commercial Counsel, APAC (Japan)
Help us grow our legal team!
Stripe is a global technology company that builds infrastructure for online commerce. We handle billions in transactions each year and enable millions of users around the world to scale faster and more efficiently by building their businesses on Stripe. Stripe operates within a complex and interwoven legal, regulatory, and financial partnership environment. You should be comfortable supporting a complex set of products that will challenge your legal acumen and critical thinking skills. As a part of our team, you’ll be responsible for a wide variety of commercial legal matters supporting Stripe’s growing Sales team, and will help us build for scale. You must be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and business needs in a rapidly changing environment. In addition, you must be able to work independently, proactively identifying areas of need and generating recommended action plans. Join us for the opportunity to work with a great team on complicated problems in a fast-moving environment.
In this role you will:
- Partner with the global Stripe legal team and work with cross-functional teams and senior leaders on a spectrum of complex legal, business, and strategic issues
- Draft and negotiate various types of commercial agreements with Stripe users and partners in relation to Stripe’s rapidly growing product lineup
- Draft and maintain Stripe’s legal agreements, contract templates, deal negotiation playbooks and policies and procedures
- Identify opportunities for efficiency improvements and lead projects to optimize internal processes and increase the scalability of commercial legal support
- Identify, evaluate, and clearly communicate business and legal risks, and find creative ways to mitigate them while achieving business goals
- Help ensure Stripe’s commercial relationships comply with applicable laws and regulations
- Collaborate with teams across Stripe, including sales, user ops, product, tax and risk
- Deliver training and help educate internal business partners
- Manage and build outside counsel relationships
Our ideal candidate will have:
- Fluency in English and Japanese (including extensive experience in drafting Japanese legal agreements and negotiating with Japanese counterparties)
- Excellent academic credentials and professional experience
- At least 5+ years of experience as a practicing attorney
- Extensive experience with technology agreements, particularly IT/SaaS agreements
- Knowledge of data protection laws
- A strong passion for drafting and negotiating commercial agreements
- Strong communication (both written and verbal) skills and adept at working with cross-functional colleagues
- Strong project management skills and exceptional attention to detail
- Ability to effectively prioritize and advance multiple deals in parallel, often on compressed and overlapping deadlines
- Excellent judgment, and be capable of making timely and well-reasoned decisions in the face of ambiguity and imperfect information
- A strong sense of ownership; a willingness to jump in and do whatever needs to be done in an enthusiastic, proactive, and resourceful manner; and a strong work ethic with a high degree of accountability and organization
- An open and curious mind about an evolving industry
- Membership in at least one bar
Nice to haves:
- Familiarity with the payments, financial services and associated regulatory issues
- Experience advising high growth companies, particularly those involved in highly regulated industries, such as financial services, telecommunications, health care, etc.
Please include your resume and LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.