Client Platform Engineer
The mission of the Corporate Technology organization is to be Stripe’s strategic technology partner. We are focused on increasing business velocity through tooling, services, and infrastructure that enables Stripe to scale and increase the GDP of the internet.
The Client Platform Engineering (CPE) team, residing within the Security organization, builds the tooling to secure and manage our endpoints, while maintaining a frictionless user experience for Stripes.
As a Client Platform Engineer, your work will focus on protecting every Stripe employee’s most used tool: their company-issued laptop. Our team owns the entire lifecycle of these assets, and with it, the responsibility of ensuring our fleet is managed with the level of thoughtfulness and rigor that our users and customers expect.
Our team’s scope includes the management of 4,000+ macOS laptops, 2,000+ ChromeOS devices, 1,500+ iOS devices, and hundreds of Windows endpoints.
We are seeking someone who brings an engineering mindset to solving technical problems. Though past experience as a CPE is a plus, it is certainly not a requirement. We are seeking to grow the team by adding generalist Engineers who are capable of solving a variety of technical problems.
Your day-to-day work will include a mix of tending to our existing fleet and its associated management tools, working on larger strategic projects that span multiple teams and quarters (one example: self-service laptop provisioning tools), and providing input into our longer-term roadmap and planning activities.
- Be responsible and accountable for the successful delivery of engineering projects that improve the security, reliability, compliance, and automation of our fleet
- Be constantly on the lookout for opportunities to eliminate manual work through tool building and automation
- Collaborate with our primary internal customers (Security, IT Operations and Developer Productivity) to respond to their requests and troubleshoot issues with the tooling we provide them
- Use your deep technical skills to debug and solve complex technical problems
- Hold a high bar for code quality and standards by reviewing, approving and providing feedback on code submission by your peers
- Be a contributor to longer-term artifacts such as our team charter and roadmap
- Demonstrate strong dispute resolution and technical decision making, and provide deliberate and thoughtful explanations of how decisions are reached
- Be a mentor to others. This includes holding a high bar on technical decision making and on engineering artifacts like design docs and code that the team produces
- Contribute to the development and refinement of operational metrics, and improve the systems used to track the health of our fleet
- Help your teammates by sharing knowledge, mentoring, and participating in our on-call rotation
- Keep abreast of industry trends and forums to ensure Stripe remains an innovator in this domain
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Experience managing endpoints using code-based configuration management tools
- Proficiency in at least one software development language
- Experience writing infrastructure as code using declarative configuration files
- Experience writing middleware
- Experience leveraging APIs to make changes
- A users first mindset and a focus on creating great user experiences
Nice to haves:
- Experience deploying and managing binary authorization systems
- Familiarity with third-party and open source CPE tools
- Familiarity with Mobile Device Management (MDM) tools
- Familiarity with managing fleets of macOS, ChromeOS, iOS, and/or Windows devices
- Proficiency managing cloud infrastructure using an industry-standard provider
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.