Backend Engineer, Product Experience Platform
Product Experience Platform is a set of teams that lead UI platforms at Stripe. We’re responsible for the complete frontend programming model and backend services platform used to build the Stripe Dashboard (dashboard.stripe.com) and other user interfaces, including: design systems and UI components; the navigation, information architecture, and high-traffic surfaces in the Dashboard; our data access and runtime libraries; the CI/CD pipeline and related services of our platform; and improving the performance, reliability and security of our platforms.
Backend Engineers in Product Experience Platform build the infrastructure that powers Stripe’s frontend programming model. We’re looking for people passionate about distilling complexity in backend architecture to solve real world business problems.
- Build software services and platforms that will impact every Stripe user, whether they’re an end user, developer, or partner
- Ensure our platforms are reliable, scalable, secure and extensible
- Shape future proof interfaces that are easy to build against
- Help drive sound technical decision making and lead technical conversations with other teams across Stripe
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have 3+ years of backend engineering experience building services using one or more programming languages such as Java, Ruby, Python or Go
- Understand how to build scalable, resilient, and observable distributed systems
- Can debug complex problems across the whole stack
- Focus on the needs of our users, both internal and external
Projects you may work on:
- Building multi-region services to support the expanding geographic footprint of Stripe
- Rebuilding and architecting backend runtime code into a service oriented architecture
- Improving automation services and observability pipelines for teams building frontend applications
- Participating in performance experiments involving ML modeling to improve end user experiences
- Up-leveling the security and reliability posture of cross-platform backend services that support frontend teams
- Offering internal support to other Stripe teams on designing elegant and powerful backend APIs
- Revising our CI/CD systems to automate end to end code validation and delivery
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run, and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.