Engineers in Tokyo bring systems together to build amazing experiences for Japanese users.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems. A passion for solving Japanese users’ problems is, of course, a must.
- Work with a wide range of systems, processes and technologies to own and solve problems from end-to-end.
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Stripe’s engineering teams.
- Build new features for internal and external users.
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale.
- Uphold our high engineering standards and bring consistency to the many codebases and processes you will encounter.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Enjoys being a generalist working on both the frontend, backend, and anything it takes to solve problems and delight users, including work that falls outside engineering.
- Thrives in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts, and potential ambiguity.
- Can succeed in projects involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Can stitch together many different services and processes together even if you have not worked with them before.
- Puts themselves in the shoes of the users and is a steward of crafting great experiences.
- Enjoys working with a diverse group of people with different expertise.
- Upholds best practices in engineering, security, and design.
- Nice to have; fluency or N1 equivalent in Japanese to engage with local users and partners.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun. We also have a culture of transparency, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.