Backend Engineer, Financial Data
Backend engineers build the core of Stripe products, services and APIs in spectacularly robust fashion.
Financial Data team is the single source of truth for all financial data in Stripe. Engineers on Financial Data team build platforms, tools, and products to ensure that Stripe’s financial data is complete, accurate, and timely. It supports data consumers like Accounting, Treasury, Revenue, and Cost. The use cases include reconciliation, financial forecasting, financial data analytics & business intelligence, compliance reporting, and auditing & compliance.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re passionate about data, you are comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Build large-scale (petabyte-size) financial data platform/solution/pipelines using Big Data technologies
- Work cross-functionally with many teams: Engineering, Treasury, Finance, Accounting, etc.
- Work on systems critical to Stripe’s future operation, with impact over billions of dollars of payments volume.
- Deeply understand the plumbing of modern payments and financial technology in many countries.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have delivered production systems.
- Write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, Scala, and Java. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Are interested in understanding Stripe’s complex financial data problems.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in).
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with Spark and Scala.
- Experience with big-data technologies like Presto, Flink, Kafka, Redshift.
- Experience with financial or payments technology, including large-scale reconciliation of datasets, SOX/PCI compliance.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. If you are a solid engineer and eager to work on data or financial related platforms/products, we are eager to talk to you.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.