Backend / API Engineer, Support Products
Support Products builds the user interfaces and backend infrastructure that lets Stripe users talk to Stripe teams thousands of times every day.
The Support Products engineering team builds and improves Stripe’s support experience including paid support offerings, from end to end: how users get help within our products, how they get in touch with us when they have questions, and how our teams use internal tools to answer those questions. We’re accountable for the quality and reliability of this support stack and we use data and firsthand user research to continuously improve it. We’re a small, distributed team of capable, friendly, user-oriented engineers and we partner closely with Stripe’s world-class design, product, infrastructure, and operational teams. Providing great support to users of all sizes is culturally important to everyone at Stripe.
- Build, operate, and improve support products for all of Stripe’s users from one-person startups to Premium Support users and large enterprises.
- Work side-by-side with user-facing teams to understand their needs, develop short-term and long-term solutions, and deploy those solutions across our global 24/7 support operation.
- Own problems from end to end, managing complexity and engaging directly with stakeholders to think through everything from business impact, to reliability and operability, to the pixel-perfection of individual support interactions.
- Uphold Stripe’s high standards for engineering and product quality and mentor newer team members to do the same.
You might work on:
- Building engaging, responsive user interfaces that make it truly enjoyable to get help from Stripe. For example, we used React to build a chat UI from the ground up so that it would feel truly at home in the Stripe Dashboard.
- Scaling the contact platform that connects Stripe users with the teams that are best equipped to help them. This might involve implementing new API endpoints for use across multiple products, iterating on data pipelines to maximize visibility into our support operations, or adding to our billing pipeline so that we can offer paid support plans in new regions.
- Improving the internal tools that empower our user-facing teams to build new case-solving workflows, publish dynamic, localized content to our user-facing support site, and answer every support request with the right context for any user.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy being a generalist, working on frontend, backend, infrastructure, data pipelines, or billing pipelines as needed to solve problems and delight our users. (You don’t need to be an expert in all of these but it helps to be interested in learning about them.)
- Seek out feedback from your users and empathetically advocate for them throughout the product development process.
- Take pride in shepherding projects from ideation to completion, where completion often involves partnering with operational teams to carefully roll out changes that affect their workflows.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different functions, stakeholders, and subject matter experts.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run, and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start global internet businesses.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This not only enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work, but also establishes stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and sponsor the people working on them, and we release several tools as open source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and to push them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture, and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.