Backend / API Engineer, Risk Platform
Stripe’s mission is to build the economic infrastructure for the internet. The Risk Platform group brings together the review tools used by humans, as well as the infrastructure that encodes Stripe’s risk goals and derives automated mitigating actions from both human and model-based signals. These components make up the nervous system that underlies our ability to deliver on key company priorities such as loss management and robust compliance. We are building a platform that is easy to use for everyone at Stripe — our goal is to make it a foundational layer for engineering and non-engineering teams alike. Risk Platform is a newer team at Stripe — as an engineer on the team, you will have an outsized impact on the architecture and design choices behind these systems.
- Build systems that extract highly relevant information from public and proprietary data sources. For example, you might build a scalable web crawler, or a system to process data from business review services. Such signals help us stop millions of fraudulent transactions and identify and block high-risk entities more effectively
- Design elegant, reusable representations of signal data and help interpret that data using deep learning and natural language processing techniques
- Collaborate with specialists from Stripe’s machine learning, risk, and data science teams to come up with new ideas to improve our at-scale understanding of businesses and the online economy
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Work with engineers across the company to develop the right technologies for scaling the infrastructure.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have at least 5 years of software engineering experience
- Enjoy and have experience building scalable backend infrastructure
- Think about systems and services and write high-quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with engineers, from Sales and Support, in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.