Backend / API Engineer, Risk Policy Engineering
Build the risk management infrastructure that keeps Stripe and its users safe and secure by mitigating financial losses and maintaining regulatory and ecosystem compliance while providing the best user experience possible.
The Risk Policy Engineering team builds the core infrastructure that encodes Stripe’s risk goals and derives automated mitigating actions from both human and model-based signals. These components make up the nervous system that underlies our ability to deliver on key company priorities such as loss management and robust compliance. We are building tools and frameworks that are easy to use for everyone at Stripe — our goal is to make these systems a foundational layer for engineering and non-engineering teams alike. Risk Policy Engineering is a newer team at Stripe — as an engineer on the team, you will have an outsized impact on the architecture and design choices behind these systems.
We’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Risk Policy Engineering team in building the infrastructure and the risk defense layer that protects Stripe and its users from fraud, operational risk, and regulatory compliance risk. The team is responsible for ensuring that Stripe’s risk policies and procedures are implemented in a scalable, correct, and robust manner. In addition to this, the team builds an infrastructure to provide self-serve policy authoring tools to empower other teams like Risk Operations and Financial Crimes to create new defenses on their own.
- Build systems that enforce Stripe’s risk policy in a way that is predictable, safe and observable to both internal users and our external customers.
- Design high-throughput, easy-to-use self-service tools that enable non-engineering teams to implement and scale Risk policies
- Collaborate with specialists from Stripe’s machine learning, risk, and data science teams to come up with new ideas to improve our at-scale understanding of businesses and the online economy.
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack.
- Work with engineers across the company to develop the right technologies for scaling the infrastructure.
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes.
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have at least 5 years of software engineering experience.
- Enjoy and have experience building scalable backend infrastructure.
- Think about systems and services and write high-quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with some Scala, Java and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems.
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts.
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with engineers, from Sales and Support, in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.