Backend / API Engineer, Risk Intelligence
Stripe’s mission is to build the economic infrastructure for the internet. Risk Intelligence brings together machine learning with product development to lower Stripe’s financial and regulatory risk at scale, while retaining a best in class user experience. We build ML and backend systems to catch fraudsters, understand users’ cash flow and financial health, and ensure Stripe’s users are compliant with regulatory and financial partner requirements. We protect Stripe’s brand while also protecting the company from financial losses that can put Stripe’s business at risk.
The Risk Intelligence group consists of machine learning, backend, and full stack engineers who tackle this problem through creative new product ideas and impactful machine learning models. We are undertaking several new efforts, where you can have an outsized impact on the architecture, implementation, and design choices behind these systems.
We are looking for a Backend Engineer to help scale our risk defenses as Stripe grows its user base and expands across countries, payment methods, and new product lines.
Your work will include:
- Proposing and implementing product ideas that directly reduce Stripe’s risk exposure and losses
- Building live Stripe systems that interface with ML models to make risk decisions, and enact interventions and mitigations to protect Stripe from losses
- Working with our partner teams to define and implement new policies that directly impact Stripe’s bottom line
- Working with engineers across the company to develop the right technologies for scaling our infrastructure
- Debugging production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have at least 3 years of software engineering experience
- Enjoy and have experience building scalable backend infrastructure
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Take pride in taking ownership and working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code
- Bonus if you have experience or are interested in ML and payments, but these are by no means required
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.