Backend / API Engineer, Monetization Platform
Backend engineers build the core of Stripe products, services and APIs in spectacularly robust fashion.
The mission of the Monetization Platform (MP) team is to make billing for Stripe products accurate, timely, and understandable. We get to see both the infrastructure and customer-facing sides of Stripe’s engineering. We help build new tools for our internal customers and our external end-users.
We’re looking for people with a background in backend, data pipeline, and distributed systems to build successful products and systems. You’re comfortable in dealing with multiple moving pieces. You’re looking forward to learning new technologies and systems.
- Design and build APIs, services, and systems across Stripe’s engineering teams
- Debug production issues across services and levels of the stack
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have rich experience in building large scale systems to solve challenging and complex business problems.
- Have led a team of engineers to design and build such technical solutions.
- Are experienced in data model and schema design.
- Love building data pipelines, distributed systems and/or map reduce work
- Enjoy and have experience building APIs
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code
- Enjoy working in Scala, Ruby, JS, or Go (though not required)
- Take pride in working together on projects involving multiple technologies and systems
- Grow in a collaborative environment involving different partners and experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (e.g. ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in)
You’re not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers’ needs and build amazing user experiences, and didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
You might work on:
- Building a new API for our users, or improve existing APIs
- Launching a new market or payment method
- Building new tools for our teams
- Building new systems to securely store sensitive data
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.