Staff Engineer, User Billing
Backend engineers build the core of Stripe products, services and APIs in spectacularly robust fashion.
The senior IC role here is responsible for driving the architecture and development of the next generation payment stack. This system can integrate with hundreds of payment rails at one side, enable many innovative products at the other side, while at the same time increasing the scale and rigor of the money movement operations in between.
- Ensure our platform solutions and user billing data are high quality, meet the needs of our internal users, and position us to meet Stripe’s growth.
- Ensure User Billing products built on top of the platforms are high quality, meet the needs of our external users, and position us to meet the business goals.
- Drive interoperability across platforms in User Billing, and the integrations across Stripe, mostly with product and global teams.
- Scrutinize User Billing interfaces, elevating our focus on speed and correctness within User Billing
- Help drive sound technical decision making within User Billing and lead technical conversations between User Billing and other teams across PIN and Stripe.
- Run design and code review for key components and ships in User Billing.
You may be a fit for this role if you:
- Have solid experience in architecting and designing large-scale and complex systems that delivered critical impact to a well-known business.
- Have rich experience in driving, executing, and delivering high quality technical solutions.
- Are skilled in gathering and effectively synthesizing users’ feedback and experience with platforms and product offerings.
- Are skilled in working across engineering teams and other functions in building alignment, driving decision making, and communicating transparently.
- Are effective in giving and receiving constructive feedback to/from peers and team members.
You’re not expected to have expertise across all of these areas! We have wonderful team members who focus on our customers’ needs and build amazing user experiences, and didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people from various backgrounds with broad technical skills. Stripes take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and empowering entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We contribute to open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues well. The kind of people who commit to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a diverse organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.