Backend / API Engineer, Identity Core
The Identity Core team enables well-intentioned persons and legal entities to engage with the financial ecosystem with ease, regardless of geography.
Simplicity: For well-intentioned users, Stripe’s verification experiences feel invisible. Confidence and Scalability: For platforms, we provide a first-in-class experience building on Stripe, giving them confidence to scale without fear of adverse action from regulators or financial institutions. Observability: For internal stakeholders, we make it easy to know our customers at scale. This enables Stripe to launch new products and new markets while managing regulatory, partnership, and business risks.
To empower merchants and platforms to engage with the financial ecosystem, we must “get to know” our customers. By doing so, we ensure that the persons and legal entities do not present unreasonable risk to Stripe. How we do so depends on business needs, laws, and commercial rules, and may differ between geographies.
As Stripe scales, we must not only feel confident moving money to all corners of the globe, but we must also feel confident in the persons and legal entities behind that movement of money.
We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in building successful products or systems; you’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces; you have exquisite attention to detail; and you’re comfortable learning new technologies and systems.
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Stripe’s engineering teams
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy and have experience building APIs
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code. We work mostly in Ruby, with some Scala and Go. However, languages can be learned: we care much more about your general engineering skill than knowledge of a particular language or framework.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Take pride in working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems.
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise (for example, ¼ of Stripes work in a country that’s different from the one they grew up in). Almost every role at Stripe collaborates with some engineers, from Sales and Support in sharing feedback from our customers; to Legal and Accounting in supporting our systems for tracking money movement and reporting around the world.
It’s not expected that any single candidate would have expertise across all of these areas. For instance, we have wonderful team members who are really focused on their customers’ needs and building amazing user experiences, but didn’t work on APIs before joining Stripe.
You might work on:
- Build a new API for our users, or iterate on existing APIs
- Optimize systems for reliability and security
- Build new tools for our business teams
- Build new systems to securely store sensitive data
Please find our EU applicant personal information notice here
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.