Backend / API Engineer, Fraud Intelligence
Stripe builds the economic infrastructure for the internet. Building trust between banks, businesses & customers is a key ingredient for Stripe to be successful. Unfortunately, fraudsters & bad actors erode that trust.
The Fraud Intelligence team builds backend and machine learning (ML) systems to reduce fraud while retaining a best-in-class user experience. Our work directly impacts Stripe’s bottom line, and we help build a safer financial backbone for the internet.
Here are some of the problems you will be tackling:
As Stripe grows its footprint, how do we build risk engineering systems that scale?
How do we fingerprint a fraudster’s activity across Stripe?
How do we detect an unusual pattern of accessing Stripe?
You will have an outsized impact on the direction, design & implementation of the solutions to these problems.
Your work will include:
- Proposing and implementing product ideas that directly reduce Stripe’s fraud losses
- Building systems that evaluate businesses for risk and take appropriate actions
- Working with our partner teams to launch new policies that directly impact Stripe’s bottom line
- Helping engineers across the company to develop technologies for scaling our infrastructure
- Debugging production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have at least 3 years of software engineering experience
- Enjoy and have experience building scalable backend infrastructure
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Take pride in taking ownership and driving projects to business impact
- Thrive in a collaborative environment
- [Bonus] Have experience in Python, Scala (Spark), or Ruby
- [Bonus] Have experience in interfacing with ML systems
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.