Backend / API Engineer, Express
Backend engineers build the core of Stripe products, services and APIs in a robust fashion.
Express is building the best way to get paid for doing work on the internet – focusing on the creator or marketplace worker. Over the next year, this team will build the foundational products and services required to achieve this vision. As part of pursuing this mission, the Express teams are focused on expanding and unlocking new business models. Express is one of the newest organizations at Stripe and operates like a startup. We’re looking for people with a strong background or interest in solving real world problems and ability to translate complexity into simplicity. You’re comfortable in dealing with lots of moving pieces, have an exquisite attention to detail, and curiosity in learning new technologies and systems.
We have backend engineers in almost every team across Stripe, and in that role, you’ll be making some of the most significant decisions for the company. You’ll get to work with other engineers to build delightful features that span various parts of the system, as well as participate and collaborate with product & design directions.
- Build a new API for our users, or iterate on existing APIs
- Build highly scalable systems required to support creators to receive money
- Design & develop services that make it easy for creators to manage their funds by integrating with Stripe products like Dashboard, Instant Payouts, Issuing & Tax reporting
- Make it easy for creators to receive money without having to worry about currency conversion and cross their business, manage and use that money from across platforms and geography
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Enjoy being in a fast paced environment and building products from ground zero
- Have a product mindset, can put yourself in the shoes of your users and design APIs that are simple and future proofed to the product requirements
- Design, build, and maintain core data models and internal APIs
- Debug production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
- Work with engineers across the company to build new features at large-scale
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.