Backend / API Engineer, Customer Insights
We’re looking for people with a strong background and passion in building successful backend systems, services and APIs that deliver impactful product values to our customers, and who are comfortable in dealing with changes, take initiative, and bias towards action.
- Build and launch new capabilities and products
- Design, build, and maintain scalable, reliable and performant services and APIs that are integrated with Stripe’s core payment flows
- Work on anything it takes to solve problems and delight users both internally and externally. You’ll also do some frontend work, and have the opportunity to deeply understand end-to-end ML products
- Uphold our high engineering standards, and elevate quality and engineering efficiency to the many codebases and processes
- Collaborate with stakeholders across the organization including dependency engineering teams, product, design, infrastructure, and operations
We’re looking for someone who has:
- Experience developing APIs and services
- A willingness to wear different hats and do whatever it takes to solve problems and delight users. We’re looking for engineers with strong design and backend skills, but engineers on the team will also other work including frontend
- At least 5 years of professional software development experience
- Empathy with their users and who is a steward of crafting great experiences
- Skills for upholding best practices in engineering, security, and design
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative and fast-paced environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Enjoyment in working with a diverse group of people with different expertise
Nice to haves:
- Experience with or interest in ML, which powers many of the products we work on
- Experience in payments and/or fraud
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.