Backend / API Engineer, Credit Intelligence
Stripe’s mission is to build the economic infrastructure for the internet. Credit Intelligence brings together machine learning with product development to lower Stripe’s credit risk at scale, while retaining a best in class user experience. Getting this tradeoff right is critical to Stripe’s long term success and profitability. We protect Stripe’s brand while also protecting the company from credit losses that can put our financial position at risk.
The Credit Intelligence team consists of machine learning, backend, and full stack engineers who want to tackle this problem through creative new product ideas and impactful machine learning models. We are undertaking several new efforts, where you can have an outsized impact on the architecture, implementation, and design choices behind these systems.
As a backend engineer you will be collaborating with engineers on your team and across Stripe, and key partners in the product and risk org, data science, and operations.
Your work will include:
- Proposing and implementing product ideas that directly reduce Stripe’s credit exposure and losses
- Building live Stripe systems that interface with ML models to make credit decisions, and enact interventions and mitigations to protect Stripe from losses
- Working with our partner teams to define and implement new policies that directly impact Stripe’s bottom line
- Working with engineers across the company to develop the right technologies for scaling our infrastructure
- Debugging production issues across services and multiple levels of the stack
You may be a good fit if you:
- Have at least 3 years of software engineering experience
- Enjoy and have experience building scalable backend infrastructure
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
- Take pride in taking ownership and working on projects to successful completion involving a wide variety of technologies and systems
- Thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- Think about systems and services and write high quality code
- Bonus if you are experienced in python, Scala (Spark), or Ruby), but these are by no means required
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.