Backend / API Engineer, Card Present Payments
As a platform company powering businesses all over the world, Stripe processes payments, runs marketplaces, detects fraud, helps entrepreneurs start internet businesses from anywhere in the world, builds world-class developer-friendly APIs, and more. Stripe’s backend engineers work on the business logic for all of that. As a backend engineer, you will build and expand APIs and services and work with our partners to launch new markets and capabilities.
The new Card Present team within Payment Acceptance works on our most critical payment flows to ensure it’s as easy for businesses to accept in-person payments as the Stripe API has done for online payments, supporting Stripe’s rapidly expanding Stripe Terminal business. With Terminal, businesses can unlock in-person payments use cases that are right for their business model – whether it’s creating a superb retail experience, extending their website to a pop-up store, or enabling a mobile point-of-sale at their next event. Terminal is used by some of Stripe’s largest, fastest growing, and most innovative users.
Stripe’s core payment flows process hundreds of billions of dollars in card payments annually. Card Present transactions generate the need for new payment acceptance capabilities – ranging from new kinds of transaction information to features like offline processing – which you will design and implement, Your work will help expand the reach of Stripe’s global payments network while delivering best-in-class reliability and performance.
- Architect and design engineering projects
- Communicate with other engineering teams across Stripe’s global offices
- Design, build, and maintain APIs, services, and systems across Stripe’s engineering teams
- Mentor engineers earlier in their technical careers to help them grow
- At least five years of professional software development experience
- Either a Bachelor’s degree in a technical field involving coding (e.g., Computer Science, Engineering, Physics, Mathematics) or equivalent technical experience
- Technically lead projects which have involved multiple engineering teams
- Worked in a variety of different platforms, in both high-level and low-level languages, and maybe even done front-end work
Nice to have:
- Have helped grow a new team or product, and are excited about helping make a great team environment
You should include these in your application:
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.