Android Engineer, Terminal Integration Experience
Stripe was founded to make it easier for developers to accept payments. We’ve solved a small part of that problem, but our ambition is to go much further. For businesses, it’s still too hard to collect payments in every language, currency, payment method, and tax system.
Stripe Terminal helps our users extend their online presence to the physical world. The Terminal team’s mission is to make it as easy for businesses to accept in-person payments as the Stripe API has done for online payments. With Terminal, businesses can unlock in-person payments use cases that are right for their business model—whether it’s creating a superb retail experience, extending their website to a pop-up store, or enabling a mobile point-of-sale at their next event. Android engineers on the Terminal team will build and enhance the Reader Platform and applications that run on the physical Terminal devices.
- Design, build and maintain Android apps and SDKs in Kotlin
- Develop Android payment applications for a variety of devices and form factors
- Work with engineers, product managers, designers, and stakeholders across the company to bring new features and products to Stripe’s mobile users
- Collaborate with Android developers who work on the Stripe mobile apps and Stripe Terminal to set best practices for Android development across the company
- Work with user research and product design to understand users and address their needs
Sample mobile projects:
- Build support for new class-leading payment readers from the Android SDK
- Implement features that unlock features for merchants in the dining, retail, and hospitality industries
- Build unique mobile-first features to make it seamless to manage a business on Stripe
We’re looking for someone who has:
- A strong technical background, with 5+ years of experience in Android development. Ideally, you’ve had some experience building SDK products or contributing to open-source libraries, and appreciate the art of API design
- Experience or interest in developing in C/C++ for embedded, mobile, and Internet of Things (IoT) devices
- The ability to listen well and internalize the best ideas from all over the organization while also setting a vision that others are excited to get behind
- Preference of simple solutions and designs over complex ones, and has a good intuition for what is lasting and scalable
- The ability to thrive in a collaborative environment involving different stakeholders and subject matter experts
- The ability to put yourself in the shoes of your users and be a steward of crafting great developer and consumer experiences
You should include these in your application:
- A description of your work history in the form of a resume or LinkedIn profile
- [optional] If you’ve published apps or worked on open source mobile projects in the past, please include a link and description
What’s it like to work at Stripe?
Stripe is helping the internet fulfill its potential as a platform for economic progress by building software tools that accelerate global economic access and technological development. Stripe makes it easy to start, run and scale an internet business from anywhere in the world.
Stripe is, at its heart, an engineering company. To provide a missing pillar of core internet infrastructure, we hire people with a broad set of technical skills (and from a wide variety of backgrounds) who are ready to take on some of the most challenging problems in the industry – from reliably handling 100M API requests per day, to building adaptive machine learning as a result of years of data science and infrastructure work, and enabling entrepreneurs worldwide to start a global internet business.
We look at Stripe as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We encourage all engineers to transition teams once every year and a half and also take on short-term projects with other teams across Stripe. This enables engineers to learn how different parts of Stripe work while also establishing stronger ties and cross-pollination between groups.
We contribute to existing open-source projects and the people working on them, and we release several tools as open-source.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other Stripes in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our space to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We have long tables in the kitchen for a reason (to enable everyone to meet new people and learn from them). We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that Stripes all around the world have the information they need to make good local decisions.
In both our products and our people, we aim to reflect, represent and advocate for all of our users, globally. Our users transcend geography, culture and language; what we share, collectively, is a drive to create a fairer, more economically interconnected world.
At Stripe, we're looking for people with passion, grit, and integrity. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match the job description. Your skills and passion will stand out—and set you apart—especially if your career has taken some extraordinary twists and turns. At Stripe, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who think rigorously and aren't afraid to challenge assumptions. Join us.