The BBPOS Chipper 2X BT is a handheld reader for mobile Stripe Terminal applications. It connects to an iOS device over Bluetooth.
Turning the reader on and off
To turn on the reader, press and release the power button on the side of the reader. The status light will turn on.
After 30 seconds of inactivity, the reader enters standby mode to conserve power, and its status light begins flashing at 5-second intervals. Note that the reader stays connected to your iOS device while in standby mode. When you resume activity (e.g., by starting another payment), the reader automatically wakes from standby mode.
The reader automatically turns off after 10 hours of inactivity. Simply turn the reader back on the next time you’re ready to accept a payment. Typically, you need to turn on the card reader only once a day—you don’t need to turn the reader off to conserve power.
To turn the reader off, press and hold the power button until the status light goes out.
Connecting to the reader
The BBPOS Chipper 2X BT is a Bluetooth Low Energy device that does not need to be paired through your iOS device’s Settings > Bluetooth page. To connect to the reader, have your app call the connectReader method instead.
For your app to run in the background and remain connected to the reader, add the
UIBackgroundModes (Required background modes) and the
bluetooth-central (Uses Bluetooth LE accessories) values to your app’s
Do not program your app to call
disconnectReader to conserve power. The reader efficiently handles power management using its standby mode.
Whenever the BBPOS Chipper 2X BT is turned on, the LED located beside the power button shows the reader’s current status.
- The reader is off.
- Flashing blue every 1 second
- The reader is powered on and ready to connect to a device. The reader stays in this state for 5 minutes before turning off.
- Multicolored flashing
- The reader has been discovered by a device using Bluetooth Proximity and is ready to connect.
- Steady blue
- The reader is connected to a device. If the reader is inactive for 30 seconds, it stays connected to the device but enters standby mode to conserve power.
- Flashing blue every 5 seconds
- The reader is in standby mode. Note that the reader is still connected to the device and will wake from standby mode if you resume activity. After 10 hours of inactivity, the reader turns off automatically.
- Alternating red and magenta
- The reader is charging.
- Flashing red
- The reader’s battery is low.
- Rapidly flashing blue and red
- The reader finished installing a software update.
Charge the reader
You can charge the BBPOS Chipper 2X BT by using the included micro USB cable. You cannot use the USB port to connect the reader to a device. Instead, you must connect the reader to your iOS device over Bluetooth using the Stripe Terminal SDK.
Now that you’re familiar with the reader, you may want to learn about:
The BBPOS and Chipper™ name and logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of BBPOS Limited in the United States and/or other countries. The Verifone® name and logo are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Verifone in the United States and/or other countries. Use of the trademarks does not imply any endorsement by BBPOS or Verifone.