MOTO SetupIntents allow you to enter the card information on the reader and save the payment details without charging the card. As when saving cards directly without charging with the server-driven integration, you can:
- Create or retrieve a Customer object.
- Create a SetupIntent object to track the process.
- Process the payment method.
- Verify the reader state.
- Use the PaymentMethod.
You’re responsible for your compliance with all applicable laws, regulations, and network rules when saving a customer’s payment details. For instance, if you save a customer’s payment method for future use, you need their agreement. Getting that agreement up front allows you to save the customer’s payment details, and potentially even charge the customer when they’re not actively using your website or app, placing a MOTO order, or in your store.
Add terms to your checkout flow that state how you plan to save a customer’s payment method details and let the customer opt in. If you plan to charge the customer while they’re offline, then at a minimum, make sure that your terms also cover the following:
- The customer’s agreement to your initiating a payment or a series of payments on their behalf for specified transactions.
- The anticipated timing and frequency of payments (for instance, whether charges are for scheduled installment or subscription payments, or for unscheduled top-ups).
- How the payment amount is determined.
- Your cancellation policy, if you’re setting up the payment method for a subscription service.
Make sure you keep a record of your customer’s written agreement to these terms.