Platforms can add funds to their Stripe balance as part of their normal business operations. There are a number of different use cases for adding funds, including:
- Paying bonuses or other one-off payouts, independent of specific charges
- Providing customer discounts while still paying full price for goods or services to sellers
- Adding funds from non-Stripe income (for example, checks or funds from another processor)
- Enabling faster payouts (for example, pay a vendor before incoming funds become available)
All of these requirements must be met to add funds to your Stripe balance:
- Your are a platform in the UK.
- You can initiate a FPS Credit Transfer.
- Your platform is on a manual payout schedule.
- Your platform profile is approved. You can check the status in your settings after completing the platform profile.
- Go to the Balances page in the Dashboard. Click “Add to balance”.
- Enter an amount in the currency you wish to add to your balance.
- Select “Pay out connected accounts” to proceed.
- You will be provided instructions for initiating an FPS Credit Transfer.
- Initiate a transfer with your bank to the account information shown.
Seeing your funds
Once this transfer clears, you’ll be able to view it in Top-ups page or navigate to it by clicking “Payments” in the sidebar of the Stripe Dashboard, and selecting “Top-ups”.
The funds from the top-up will increase your default Stripe balance. You can use these funds to make transfers to your connected accounts using the Transfers or from the Stripe Dashboard in the Connected Accounts page.
Funds should be available in your balance within one to two business days depending on the method used to add funds.
If your Stripe account has a negative balance and you created a top-up, the amount from the top-up will be used to clear your negative balance first, and some or all of that top-up might be unavailable for you to transfer to your connected accounts. For instance, if your stripe balance is -€10, and you make a top-up for €50, only €40 will be available to you to transfer to your connected accounts.
Test Mode behavior
Since this user flow does not require use of the Stripe API, we do not have any test mode-specific behavior pertaining to it.