Connect integration guide
This guide is intended for existing platforms. For help setting up a new platform, see the Collect payments then pay out guide or the Enable other businesses to accept payments directly guide.
Accepting more payment methods helps you and the sellers and service providers on your platform (connected accounts) expand global reach and improve checkout conversion. If you use one of Stripe’s hosted checkout solutions, Stripe can show the best payment methods based on your end customer’s region to optimize conversion. You can manage which payment methods to show from the Dashboard—no code required. Automatic payment methods provides the following benefits:
- Intelligent payment method display during checkout. Stripe displays the payment methods most likely to convert based on customer information like location and currency.
- Control over payment methods Stripe offers during checkout. You can also set up Connect to allow the sellers and service providers on your platform to customize the payment methods available at checkout through their Dashboards.
- Automatic payment method updates. As Stripe launches new payment methods in new markets, they become automatically available in your Dashboard.
The information in this guide helps you identify the configuration of your Connect integration so that you can follow the correct instructions in the Automatic payment methods guide.
Select a hosted checkout solution
Stripe offers two hosted UI solutions that enable your platform to accept more payment methods from customers.
- Checkout is a prebuilt, hosted payment page optimized for conversion.
- Payment Element is a rich UI framework that enables you to design a secure payments experience matching your brand that helps drive conversion.
For examples of these options, see the Accept a payment guide.
Identify your Connect setup, including account type and charge type
Your setup depends on your Connect charge type. Inspect your existing Payment API calls to confirm your charge type. Determine which of the following you create:
- Direct charges.
- Destination charges or separate charges and transfers.
- Destination charges or separate charges and transfers with the
If you’re creating direct charges, your requests resemble the following code.
Destination charges without the
on_behalf_of parameter include a
transfer_data[destination] parameter instead. Separate charges and transfers don’t include the
transfer_data parameter, and might instead have a
Finally, if you’re creating destination charges or separate charges and transfers with the
on_behalf_of parameter set, your API calls resemble the following code.
Connect offers three types of connected accounts: Standard, Express, and Custom. You can determine your account type using the Dashboard or by examining your API calls.
Confirm you can manage payment methods from the dashboard
Confirm you meet the API supportability criteria to use Stripe’s automatic payment method setup.
Code-based solutions with custom logic can list available payment methods manually without relying on integration options.